Vintage Buck Rogers Weaponry!

Talk about older versions of Buck Rogers.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Vintage Buck Rogers Weaponry!

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 am

I found an interesting article on vintage Buck Rogers toy guns...

http://www.toyraygun.com/buckrogersrayguns.html

(It's a guy thing...) ;)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 am

Not just a guy thing, I think they're neat too 8) .

I've heard of paper dolls before but never paper guns. A few weeks ago I was reading about the Buck Rogers collectibles in the buckrogers_nz site. It brought up the metal guns and but never the paper ones.

Thanks for sharing that link here HP :).

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:42 am

A friend of mine back in grade school had one of the metal guns in his house- I believe his parents collected antiques. I didn't recognize it for what it was back then, but whenever I see those guns it always reminds me.

Slightly off-topic, but here's my own pistol from another sci-fi classic:

It's the Blade Runner gun. Occasionally it shows up in my other nonsensical FC posts.

Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 am

Bet that gun cost a pretty penny to get a hold of [ok] . No idea what it might have cost you. I collect daggers and swords when I have the money for it.

Been thinking of making an edited pic. like what you just pinned up but I don't think I've been an FC Mod. long enough to do one :tongue5: .

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:11 am

systemcat wrote:Bet that gun cost a pretty penny to get a hold of [ok] . No idea what it might have cost you. I collect daggers and swords when I have the money for it.

Been thinking of making an edited pic. like what you just pinned up but I don't think I've been an FC Mod. long enough to do one :tongue5: .

Yeah, I bought it on Ebay for about $300- I fought with a few others, but I was fairly determined to win it. Actually, you can get a somewhat cheaper version on a site called http://www.monstersinmotion.com from time to time, but stock runs out over there quite often.

A buddy of mine also collects swords & daggers; he proudly displays them all over his house. I myself have a miniscule blade collection, but it's all throwing knives- it used to be a hobby of mine about 10-12 years ago when I had more free time.

Actually, you could probably post pics of your collection- that'd make for an interesting thread. (Either here or at FC) :)

I say the heck with it and make an edited pic- they're fun and add color to the place! :biggrin:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby ladyfreebird » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:16 am

The only things I really collect are pics and figurines of Dolphins and Eagles. I use to be into daggers and swords many years ago. But was never really able to afford them.

graylady
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:58 am

Actually, you could probably post pics of your collection- that'd make for an interesting thread. (Either here or at FC) :)

No camera, remember my digital one sucks and I don't know where the driver CDs are for my web cams. Only one sword at this point but I'm hoping to get more later. The amount of daggers right now are at four. What's amazing is the first one I got which was the cheapest to buy is an Arabian dagger, it's the coolest to look at of all of them.

I also have collections of a bunch of other things but I think if we're going to be talking about our collections another topic should be started up.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:34 pm

systemcat wrote:if we're going to be talking about our collections another topic should be started up.

Good point- let me bring this one back on track- I found someone commenting on a pistol used in the TV series:

http://www.rgj.com/blogs/poweron/2007/0 ... 50-at.html
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:33 pm

"As a resident of reality, though, there is something that bugs me about this whole transaction. If the gun was purportedly used in the 25th century, how were they able to sell it in the 21st century? JASON HIDALGO"

I wonder if I should worry about this person :roll: .

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 am

systemcat wrote:I wonder if I should worry about this person :roll: .

I don't see the problem. After all, how can they sell a weapon BEFORE it's ever made? True, there IS a difference of a few centuries, but what the heck, maybe Buck & Co. were using antiques. I mean, the Earth WAS in pretty bad shape by the 25 century, wasn't it?
;)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:24 am

I don't see the problem. After all, how can they sell a weapon BEFORE it's ever made? True, there IS a difference of a few centuries, but what the heck, maybe Buck & Co. were using antiques. I mean, the Earth WAS in pretty bad shape by the 25 century, wasn't it?
:wink:

Oh so that's the route we'll go about this ...
When I think of a good reply on that note.. :wink:

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:04 am

I found a rather lengthy (but intriguing) article on fictional space weaponry; Buck Rogers is mentioned several times in the article:

Click Here to read! :)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:59 am

Started reading it last night and picked up on it again this morning. Man I wonder how long that took to write or even research for that matter :o . 99% of it was sci fi but at one point I do remember reading about a made weapon that failed to win people over with it's use due to it having issues.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Buck Rogers Weaponry!

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:11 pm

(I thought this thread would be the best place for this)

I found an interesting article on spacships & visual concepts for them= the starfighters from the Buck Rogers TV show are mentioned here.

Click Here

Some other intriguing ships appear in that article, too.
8)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Vintage Buck Rogers Weaponry!

Postby systemcat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks for sharing the link :).

I loved the art work :D but it's a shame the site was meant for a computer with a monitor larger than mine & faster internet connection.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century