My Blade Runner Laserdisc story.

This is where you can talk about video no longer being made. Example: CED, LaserDisc, Beta Max, 8mm, so on.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

My Blade Runner Laserdisc story.

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Okay, this isn't much of a story, more of a rant- I've owned the Director's Cut on Laserdisc for years and am eagerly awaiting the Boxed Set of BR mainly because the current release was one of the first DVDs put out...

...and although I honestly haven't seen the transfer, I DO know that the first titles put out back in 1997 were of the poorest quality, and I have seen several of those titles. (The Fugitive was especially embarrassing...) It's safe to assume that I've saved a few dollars by not buying that DVD. [blinzel]

The LD still holds up after all this time, but the DVD should look even sharper! The only gripe anyone would possibly have is that Blade Runner was placed on CAV discs, which only hold about 30 minutes per side- so constant switching is necessary to view the film in its entirety... [skepti]

The good news is that the boxed set (which reportedly contains several versions of Blade Runner) is due out this fall! [ok]
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:56 pm

CAV discs, which only hold about 30 minutes per side- so constant switching is necessary to view the film in its entirety...

I've never heard of that format, could you talk some more about it? :)

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:49 am

systemcat wrote:I've never heard of that format, could you talk some more about it? :)

Hang on, I'll just quote myself from another thread:

Herculean Platypus wrote:There were two types of LDs, the constant-linear-velocity (CLV), which could hold the aforementioned 60 minutes, and the constant angular velocity (CAV), which were limited to only 30 minutes! The benefit of CAV was that you could play the movies at different speeds, freeze-frame them perfectly and even play them backwards at various speeds. (Even DVD can't do that!) I was also under the impression that CAV discs were slightly better picture quality than standard CLV, although I'm not sure my eyes were trained enough to notice back then.
:glasses2:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:25 am

Sorry for forgetting that HP :oops: . I remembered when you talked about LDs in that post but not CAVs for some reason.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:38 pm

systemcat wrote:Sorry for forgetting that HP :oops: . I remembered when you talked about LDs in that post but not CAVs for some reason.

No problem. (Do I ever get upset about things like that?) ;)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:20 pm

It comes out December 18th of this year!

Warner Home Video has officially announced Blade Runner: The Final Cut which has been spectacularly restored and remastered from original elements and scanned at 4K resolution. The film will be available in three stunning DVD editions: a two-disc special edition ($20.97), a four-disc collector’s edition ($34.99 SRP) and the five-disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition ($78.92 SRP) in collectible “Deckard Briefcase” packaging. Extras on the two-disc will include a commentary by Ridley Scott, a commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber, and further commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer. Completing the set will be a feature length documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark.

The Four-Disc Collector's Edition includes everything from the 2-Disc Special Edition plus three additional versions of the film (1982 Theatrical Version, 1982 International Version, 1992 Directors Cut), as well as an “Enhancement Archive” bonus disc of enhanced content. Features on this disc will include The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick featirette,a Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film featurette, Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio), a Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery, image galleries, featurettes on graphic design and wardrobe and styling, Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris, and a The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth featurette. Completing the package will be a Unit Photography Gallery, Deleted & Alternate Scenes, a 1982 Promotional Featurette, trailers and TV spots, a Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art feature, a Marketing & Merchandise Gallery, a Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard featurette, and a Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers featurette.

Lastly there will be the five-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition. This will include everything above, along with the ultra-rare, near-legendary Workprint version of the film, newly remastered. A commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner will also be included, along with an All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut featurette. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase, in addition each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, some collector's photographs as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott. Simultaneous HD DVD and Blu-Ray versions (each $TBD) of the “Deckard Briefcase” will also be released in numbered, limited quantities. HD DVD and Blu-Ray 5-Disc Digi Packs with collectible slipcase (each $TBD) will include all of the UCE content.

I'm getting the 5-disc set! (In case there was any doubt.)
;)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:11 am

Looks like you have some saving up to do. I rarely find DVDs like what your going to get that I'll save up for.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:59 am

systemcat wrote:Looks like you have some saving up to do. I rarely find DVDs like what your going to get that I'll save up for.

I rarely (if ever) buy those elaborate Collector's sets, but Blade Runner and I go waaaaaaaay back. ;)

Not to mention that I used to spend around $200 for a Hong Kong import, so dropping $80 is fairly effortless by comparison! 8)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:11 pm

I just pre-ordered that bad boy at http://www.amazon.com - and the good news is that it's only going for about $55! :biggrin:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:07 am

Did a pre-order on a DVD once and when it came into the store "Suncoast" they tried to sell it to me for more than it's pre-order cost. I hope you've done this with Amazon before ( on knowing if you can trust them ).

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 am

Amazon and I go waaaaaaaaaaaaay back. ;)

Actually, I spend more money on 3rd party sellers, who are much cheaper, but there shouldn't be any issues- Amazon should ship directly to my front door!

I'm going to see if I can dig up some old friends who were fellow fanatics about this film, and hold a Blade Runner party.
:cool:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 pm

HP, got some news I think you might be interested in. Did you know some storyboards used for the movie are for sale? I'm not talking about on eBay here.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:24 am

With the holidays coming up, my funds are limited to Christmas presents for the family, unfortunately. (I blew my personal stash on the BR collector set!) [bigsmile]
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 pm

AT LAST! It's HERE! :biggrin:

I've been spending all of yesterday basically going through all the material- there's so much, it's going to take me a long time to get through it all. I've been jumping from disc to disc and reverently handling the pictures and other goodies included in the boxed set.

Like most retro- sci fi, this has undergone some computer-generated changes, I've noticed. Most are subtle- there's no radical alterations that change the storyline or characters.

Two particularly interesting ones are:

-Joanna Cassidy's character runs through some panes of glass during the movie. A stunt double was used, and in the new version, her head is superimposed on the stunt double's body. It looks quite flawless, and Ms. Cassidy looks quite good for her age (mid to late 50's, I think.)

-A dove released into the air originally soars over a bright sunny sky, totally incongruous with the rainy, smoggy atmosphere established in the movie. In the new version, the dove wings its way through a shot more appropriate for the movie.
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:50 am

Thanks for pointing out those changed scenes, HP :). Did you know yesterday the collectors' DVD set made the cover of USA Today? 'K it wasn't the largest thing on the page but man I see that as a kicker it happened :alien: .

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Old video formats