Starfest '09

Talk about other science fiction and fantasy.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Starfest '09

Postby systemcat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I had my W2s looked at earlier today by the professionals that will be doing my taxes and I'm going to get a decent amount back this year. Last year I vowed if the return was good I'd go on a vacation ..it was horrible but Starfest '08 replaced the vacation idea with one night in the hotel being used. This year it may be a good return but nearly everything needs to go into bills. Not going to be staying over night in a hotel this year but the three day ticket will be happening 8). The other week I talked on the phone with one of the people in charge of the convention and they said they wanted to see this proposal in an email. Putting Jessie's film of scenes from the series put on one of the con.'s big screens for people to watch. She (the staff worker) sounded very enthusiastic on the phone :).

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 am

You probably mentioned this, so I apologize for making you repeat it. When exactly is the Starfest? I only ask because if you are going to be advertising it, then we might get more members, and that may be helpful to me incase for what I'm doing for the website.

Thank you.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Re: Starfest '09

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:27 am

It's going to be from the 17th - 19th. If you have asked before it's some thing I've forgotten unless you asked while we were talking in the Star-Port at some point. Right now I have a funny little idea in mind for advertising the forum ...forums. But don't know how many fliers I can have made under what change I have laying around the apartment.

The convention doesn't start till quote un quote 6 PM but I think it started about an hour earlier last year. I'm planning on showing up at 2 PM. Not because any thing will be going on but the art gallery fills up fast and I want my space & artists are expected to arrive early due to that.

Um a note to Mods. this is the one time of the year I don't check the forum daily so I'm really hoping you'll be able to keep an eye on things.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:20 am

systemcat wrote:Um a note to Mods. this is the one time of the year I don't check the forum daily so I'm really hoping you'll be able to keep an eye on things.

Yes ma'am! By the way, in case of an emergancy, who exactly should be told, if there is a problem with the forum during while you're away that would require normally require your help? In otherwords, who is next in command?
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Mike, Mark and Steve or mwhill77, Bug-Eye and Griffy ;).

But I don't know if they'll jump in to action. The 26th Century section isn't in their responsibly for maintaining. I asked Steve but have yet to hear back. I doubt any thing really bad will happen during those three days.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Aye it's been a morning.

Got I think close to a hundred fliers printed up to advertise the forum - forums. And encase people are wondering how that can be done especially on a dollar and 20 cents. I typed it over & over on one page and had that printed out then cut the multiple fryers out of each paper.

This is what it says:

New members always welcome at: http://www.systemcat.aokforums.com/index.php

Buck Rogers in the 26th Century
&
Phoenix Virtual Television Community
&
Whovonia :: Gallifreyan Renegades
Forum

Second event, did you know you could get pulled over to being polite to a cop? On the way back from Copymax and bunch of cops had pulled over a car and one decided to pull away I guess to go back to the station. He was behind my car very close so I decided to switch lanes and let him pass. He pulled me over, asked why I had switched lanes and chewed me out for a fake crystal that hangs high up from my rear view mirror. This crystal has been hanging from there since Christmas before last, it was a present from my parents in Maryland. He let me off with a warning, thank goodness. If he had ticketed me there wouldn't have been any money to pay him with.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jassian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:11 pm

:? He must have been bored. Or really eager.

:)
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 pm

I have some news to give ...rather depressing news. I'm being forced to move back to the east coast and essentially restart every thing. I desperately tried to find a new apartment and nothing was justifiable but I know there is a place waiting for me over there. Late this month I'll go offline completely for a few days while every thing is going on. ...Starfest is going to be my final blast in Denver ....

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:15 am

I can't believe that a police officer would do something like that. He either had a bad day, or he was trying to fill his monthly quota.

I'm very sorry to hear about the bad news. If there's anything that I can do to help around the site during this time, all you have to do is ask.

ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Re:

Postby systemcat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 am

ohboy wrote:I can't believe that a police officer would do something like that. He either had a bad day, or he was trying to fill his monthly quota.

I'm very sorry to hear about the bad news. If there's anything that I can do to help around the site during this time, all you have to do is ask.

Sorry for not answering earlier, I just can't really think of much. Really bad things that aren't say bad posts or spammers can't be taken care of by a Mod. . But if some thing forum wide happened. You could sign up in the hosting support forum which appears as a link almost at the bottom of the page and contact Support through it to ask for a fix for what's wrong. Aside from the server flipping back and forth from being a tortoise to a hare I can't think of any thing else wrong.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

And now the report starts :).

Due to the wonderful weather taking place earlier today I wondered if it (Starfest) was going to be canceled and called the hotel. They said not only was it not canceled but people were already setting up for it.

I began to fear what if the gallery fills up fast and decided to come early. Being I think I showed up around late 10am with every project, art room and model room meant.

Kathy who basically runs the show to what I can gather told me to put my pieces in the art room but neither of us knew that wasn't ok till Carl showed up. He's in charge of it. Much later I got to meet up with him and he was ok with my early setup.

Got to put the pieces in the model room with great timing. I met Vern, he's running multiple aspects of the con., two of which being the model room and independent films. The 26th Century Teaser is going to be the second film shown tonight :).

When setting up the K-9 the head fell apart and broke a little but I fixed it with modeling glue. The B-9 Builders Club said they'd keep an eye on my work because of how delicate it is. ..They saw the head fall apart.

Got further conformation over doing interviews with staff and when talking with the man in charge of media relations. He said I might get to person to person interview one of the stars. This interview won't be confirmed till the guy arrives and the man for media relations has spoken with him over it for a yes or no.

Well time to really get ready 8).

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Sounds great, Erin. Have fun! :)

ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby systemcat » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks Ohboy :).

Well it's 12:37am and I have to get up early tomorrow so the car has a parking space so I really can't say much tonight except wow what a time!

There will be a detailed report but not at this hour. ..I think a lot of this will start to get posted on Sunday.

So far I think I've taken more pictures for this Friday night at Starfest than last year. The video is better and more will be filmed later along with of course more pictures for the next two days to come.

Would people like the photos and video put in order when they're posted?

...I gonna sleep now.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:18 am

I think I've recorded over an hour of video.

Ahem.

Ok Friday horrible weather happened the whole day and I'm sure there weren't as many people there for this year as compared to last year. Fortunately I got a better parking space for the car and the same can be said for today with the convention. Weather and parking spot.

After further setup in the model room and first photo, I went downstairs for the independent films. ..I made a little oopse with the camera on that and the video kind of explains that. Vern introduced the video before for airing it, talking about where it had come from and letting me talk to the crowd & moving around. This in it had an explanation towards the site, where the clips had come from and what this was all about. My oops, the camera wasn't recording. But the full video was recorded as well as it's afterwords that had a little Q & A in it.

Gotta stop for the night. A lot more will be said tomorrow and I'm hoping to start adding photos at least by then. The videos need the be edited together and uploaded :).

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hawkfan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:30 pm

How exciting!

Looking forward to your next report and photos.

Sorry to hear about K9's little accident. (Glad you could fix him up.)

Mariet
Hawkfan
Colonial Judge
Colonial Judge

Next

Return to Other Science Fiction and Fantasy