LD Finally!

This is where you can talk about video no longer being made. Example: CED, LaserDisc, Beta Max, 8mm, so on.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

LD Finally!

Postby systemcat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:31 pm

Guess what I finally got a hold of :biggrin: ? I'll give a hint, I'm using E.T. to test it right now and so far it's playing fine 8) . Odd note, HP didn't you say I had to flip sides? It flipped it on it's own...Guess it's the model I own :? :) .

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 pm

Ah... you got a LD player! If it's flippin' on its own, that's not a bad thing. The only time you'll need to change discs for the same movie is if it's spread out over more than one disc. (A disc in CAV format, for example.)

Is it a Pioneer brand? Those are superb!
:biggrin:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 pm

It's a Pioneer CLD-2080, sucker came with it's instruction booklet and all the little goodie papers also meant for it :). Bummer it had a remote but that's gone now :(. I'm testing all the LDs I have, E.T. played fine but it did have color specs that I'm guessing you have an idea what caused them. Currently watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off, so far it's playing fine too.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:09 am

Pioneer rocks! 8)

Those speckles could be "laser rot" (the glue binding on the disc is gradually weakening.)

I wonder if you could find some sort of "universal remote" for the player- not having one can be a bit of an inconvenience. My own player doesn't have too many controls on the front, so a remote is practically essential...

Ironically, my player is about two feet from me in my home theater setup... :roll:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:22 am

Those speckles could be "laser rot" (the glue binding on the disc is gradually weakening.)

Is there any way to prevent further harm from happening to the discs? One disc that hasn't been played yet I had to clean for a few minutes because some kind of ... I'm guessing soap got on it. Also do you know of a place on the net where I can find LDs for sale? Every time I find old video for sale it's with extreme luck offline. I'd rather know of a more convenient spot to pick them up. Believe it or not I also found a Beta Max player at the same time but couldn't pick it up due to money. Decided on the LD player because of having the format in my collection.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Once laser rot happens, there's no stopping it unfortunately. It might not be rot- it could just be some imperfections on the disc's surface; this may just need a polishing up.

The bad news is that the places I used to know where you could get polishing & buffing materials for LDs are long gone, along with the places that sold them. (They make buffing wheels for DVDs & CDs, but these are way too small for LDs...)

However, you can always try eBay- people are always unloading their LD collections there. :)

Were there any discs in particular you were looking for?
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:50 am

I'm not very picky on that :happy9: . When I had my fun buying up CEDS out of that music store most of them were movies I'd never seen before. Most of them turned out to be good. Heck how picky would you be if all the movies in a shop were five dollars a each :geek: ?

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:23 pm

You should get some good mileage out of that player. I owned two, the first one was given away some years ago. It still worked, but occasionally the tray would become slightly jammed. It gave me about 6 years of excellent movie-watching.

My second one became problematic after about 7 years. Truthfully, these machines should be good for many more years than that, but the thing to keep in mind is that I used mine on a daily basis.
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Return to Old video formats