Gold Mine

This is where you can talk about video no longer being made. Example: CED, LaserDisc, Beta Max, 8mm, so on.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Gold Mine

Postby systemcat » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:26 am

When collecting video have you ever come across a gold mine of a collection for sale? I mean tons of a video format your looking for, for cheap. I had this happen once with a music / antique store. Asked them if they had any CEDs, they had no idea what I was talking about ... looked around the store just for the hell of it, found a box of them and showed one to a sales person. They said there were tons in the back of the store for five dollars a movie. Oh happy happy joy joy, you wouldn't believe how many movies were back there.

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Never had that exact situation before, but when I was visiting Hong Kong back in January 1998, I was briefly considering getting a VCD (or was it CD-V?) player, since all of Jackie Chan's movies were readily available in that format.

I decided to hold off, because I already had a good number of them on LD and I was wondering if that new upcoming format was going to be better. (That upcoming format of course, was DVD!)

Probably a wise decision in retrospect- I wouldn't have spent THAT much money, but I would be the proud owner of yet another obsolete entertaiment format!
:roll: :lol:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 am

VCD (or was it CD-V?) player

I've never seen a VCD player by it's self but some DVD players will play VCDs. In fact VCDs can be easily made through the right video software and burned on to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. They can only store at the max about a hour and ten minutes, that could be a reason why on the mass market they went down so fast.

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Old video formats