Anyone still living in the 1990's?

This is where you can talk about video no longer being made. Example: CED, LaserDisc, Beta Max, 8mm, so on.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Anyone still living in the 1990's?

Postby ohboy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:46 am

Most of this country has gone to the high-tech disks and laser disks and DVDs, such. However, does anyone still own a VCR, and do you still record things on it? I still use the one I've had for over 15 years to record Quantum Leap and The People's Court, and then play them later. It works great, and while I do have some slight problems, they are not enough to convince me to switch.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Re: Anyone still living in the 1990's?

Postby systemcat » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 am

I still have a VCR, in fact I got one due to some movies having yet not been transferred to DVD. Some might never make DVD although why is beyond me with the cheap-never-heard-of-before-movies you some times see for sale for a dollar. Back when my desktop computer still had a TV card in it, shortly before that messed up the machine. I was testing transferring VHS to DVD. ...Never made it to the rare movies. I was afraid I'd damage the tape in playing it over & over to get the process down pat, so common films were used.
Ha, it was strange relearning how to adjust the settings on a VCR after not having used one in years :roll: .

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 pm

I still have some of the VHS tapes, but more than naught, it is just used for taping things when I'm gone. Of course, one good thing about the change to disks rather than VHS tapes is the rental stores and the "Please be kind and rewind" or we'll stick you with a fine.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby mrkilroy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 pm

I have 6 VCRs in the house. I tape all my shows to watch when I have the chance. Also have 2 DVD burners and transfer shows to DVD that I want to keep. I belong to a trading board that trades TV shows and have built a nice collection of older shows. I'm a fan of Black & White TV with many favorites, including Buck Rogers (not in black and white) of course but my favorite is anything with Lucille Ball. [bigsmile]
mrkilroy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby ladyfreebird » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:01 pm

I have 2 TVs, 2 VCRs and 1 DVD player. One of my TVs has a built-in DVD player, but it decided after about 2 years of use. It was going to take a vacation without telling.

graylady :articuno:
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:51 pm

My old VCR (which cost $750 back in 1995- I bought a top-of-the-line model) hasn't seen action for years until recently- I figured out how to hook it up to my computer, and now I'm going through old tapes and converting them to DVDs for archival purposes.

I must say, it's held up well. A JVC S-VHS model. They don't make 'em like they used to.
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby ohboy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 pm

You can say that again. I have a television in my room that is at least 16 years old, and VCR is about that age. They were built to last, that's for sure.

ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby systemcat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Herculean Platypus! wrote:My old VCR (which cost $750 back in 1995- I bought a top-of-the-line model) hasn't seen action for years until recently- I figured out how to hook it up to my computer, and now I'm going through old tapes and converting them to DVDs for archival purposes.

I must say, it's held up well. A JVC S-VHS model. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Your making me feel great about my VCR :wink: , I got mine for $4.99 and an ARC.

ohboy wrote:You can say that again. I have a television in my room that is at least 16 years old, and VCR is about that age. They were built to last, that's for sure.

May not be a VCR, but I think my parents still own a ( running ) TV they got back in the 80's. How's that for holding up?

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Old video formats